Social Justice and Advocacy
All sisters of Mercy seek to be a voice for those who have no voice, or whose voice is not heard.
Our ministries in the area of social justice involve education and consciousness raising, advocacy and direct action in support of the poor, the marginalised and those who are disadvantaged by unjust political and social structures.
Our efforts include:
- Educational sessions on ecological and social justice issues
- Direct pastoral and practical support of refugees in the community
- Direct pastoral and practical support for aboriginal people in the community
- Provision of pastoral care services by sisters within Christmas Island, Curtin (Derby) and Villawood Immigration Detention Centres.
- Support of the House of Welcome providing accommodation in the community for asylum seekers
- Support for Mercy Works, undertaking development projects locally and in neighbouring developing countries
- Support of advocacy groups
- Letter-writing to politicians on matters of social justice